Message from Candiace Dillard, Miss DC United States 2013

I have always tried to live by the mantra that says "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams; live the life you have imagined." When I was crowned Miss District of Columbia United States 2013, I felt the power of those words swirling around me. The honor conferred by this crown is a heavy weight -- and a blessed challenge that I am embracing every day. To represent our Nation's Capital in such a unique way brings me a kind of great joy and pride that cannot be so easily articulated. I am humbled to be in such a position of leadership as this -- to know the kind of influence that I -- and my sister queens across the nation can have. We have the power to speak to the future of America's young women. I see it as more of an obligation.



I am dedicating my year of service to promoting the mental health, education and well being of young women across the District through my organization, My Sister's Keeper. Through the creation of interactive programs and after school activities, I hope to broaden the horizons of our young girls and expose them to a wealth of knowledge and self-esteem.

The 68 square miles that make up our Monumental Capital have done more to grow me into the young woman I am today than words can express. As a beaming product of Howard University, I owe my unwavering strength and tenacious spirit to the city that showed me how to become a Woman. I could not be prouder or more humbled to be your 2013 Miss District of Columbia United States! D.C., lets make magic together!! 

Candiace

Become a Fan on Facebook